Yoboki is a town located in the western Dikhil Region of Djibouti. It is situated approximately 100 km (62 mi) west of the nation's capital city of Djibouti, and roughly 40 km (25 mi) northwest of Dikhil, the regional capital.
Yoboki was established as a French military post in 1946, and buildings were constructed between July and November 1947 at the location of a well. The first meeting between the French soldiers, who began to occupy the territory, and representatives of the Sultan of Awsa, including Mahammad Yayyó, took place here. In 1958, a school was opened for the nomads. In 1979 a French teacher was kidnapped in Yoboki.
Bomb attacks by an unknown perpetrator were reported in mid-May 1990, which affected electric and military installations in the town. Due to conflict in the area between rebels and the government, since March 28 1992 troops from the 5th Interarm Regiment of the French Overseas Navy have been deployed in Yoboki, Obock, and Tadjoura. The rebels were driven out toGorabous. According to an October 1993 Amnesty International publication, "50 civilians were reportedly extrajudicially executed by government troops after a FRUD force withdrew from the village."
In late November-December 1998, the area was occupied by the Ethiopian army. However, the Djibouti Army re-took the town in February 1999.
In 1968, Yoboki had a population of around 200 residents, mostly Afar. More recent estimates indicate that the town has a population of 644.
In the Republic of Djibouti, access to safe drinking water is a daily challenge for the majority of the population living in rural areas. ... An estimated nearly 50 per cent of people in rural areas do not have access to a protected source of drinking water.